Tuesday, 5 November 2013

The trouble with tutorials

I spent all day yesterday attempting to make tutorials to accompany the mitten pattern and it turned out to be so much more difficult than I expected.

Firstly, I was trying to make some short video tutorials on specific techniques. Since I don't have a tripod, I tried all manner of inventive alternatives, most notably fixing the camera to a massive step-ladder strategically placed right behind my shoulder. Of course every single time I tried to sit at the machine, I knocked it out of position... It didn't help that the camera was lashed on with a series of hair-bobbles, in lieu of any other clamping device... oops.

The next problem is fitting it all in the frame. The knitting machine is so big, and when the shot is wide enough to fit it all in, it's too far away to see anything in detail. I think I need some sort of crazy camera glasses that follow my head as I look at different parts of the machine. Either that, or I need to get my head around video editing. I've not given up yet!

The second problem, was in trying to produce written tutorials with pictures. I started preparing one tutorial, just showing the cast on method, and found that I had at least two pages of instructions and about ten photos for something that really is a very simple process. Worse still the photos made it appear so much more complex and confusing than it is, because the images were so busy. Look at some of these >>>>

They're horrible! The top one was only taken to show which needles should be put to use, and the bottom one to show that the yarn made a zig-zag. The information is completely lost amongst all the other stuff going on the pictures.

I think I have a solution to this problem though... I'm going to produce some simplified diagrams which will hopefully comunicate the information more clearly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment